Rebels Parents and Players,
Now that our registration is closed, I wanted to send a sincere thank you for your support in what has been a hectic & unpredictable year to say the least. Our 2020-21 Registration has increased +10% from last season which is fantastic! The growth this season is mainly driven by growth in our Girls Program. In two short weeks, we registered 270 athletes which is incredible. To our returning families: welcome back and thank you again for your continued support. And to our new families who are trying Rebels Basketball for the first time: a warm welcome to the Fall River Basketball Organization.
We have started some Skills Sessions with our groups (space was very limited), and it is great to see everyone again being active on the court. We have very limited access to gyms with a small amount of time at Gordon Snow – we are working on this, but we ask that everyone stays vocal regarding the need for youth to have access to gyms and the need for physical activity and sport. Towards the end of November, we will start our Player Evaluation Process & Team Building Process as we prepare for an MBANS Season that is scheduled to start January 9th, 2021. As we get closer to the season, we will continue to update our players and parents.
A couple of notes as we approach our Player Evaluations and Team Building Process:
- Our Little Rebels Program will run without evaluations and we will have one group this year. The goal of Little Rebels is to provide an introduction to the game of basketball, promote physical activity, and ultimately to meet new friends and have fun. Little Rebels is a building block for our U10 Basketball Program.
- At U10, we will have multiple teams for both Boys and Girls. We do not evaluate by skill level at this age, and mainly build teams around social groups, friends, school, etc. There is an MBANS Season for U10 where players play actual games 4-on-4 (no score is kept). The goal of our U10 Program is to further introduce the game of basketball, work on the development of basketball skills, have fun, and have retention. We want our U10 players to come back year after year to Rebels.
- At U12, U14, and U16 we will have multiple teams at each age division. Our goal here is to “tier” these teams by skill level through our Player Evaluations which will start towards the end of November. Every player is evaluated independently by several evaluators and we do our very best to get it correct. With “tiered teams”, each team will play in a different division within MBANS with and against players of similar skill and ability.
Team Building & Coaches:
- After we build our teams (~10-12 Players per Team is ideal), we will assign coaches to each team. Our club relies heavily on volunteers, and our volunteer coaches are made up of both Parent-Coaches (coaches with a child on the team) & Non-Parent Coaches.
- The only coaches that are sometimes confirmed before evaluations are Non-Parent Coaches – we do not confirm Parent-Coaches before evaluations. We do not promise any coach a “particular team”, and we do this in order to maintain the integrity of the Player Evaluation Process ensuring that all kids have a fair and unbiased chance to make a competitive team that fits their ability and skill level.
- If there is anyone that is willing to volunteer or wondering what the commitment can be – please reach out to myself or either of our coaching coordinators for more information. We would be happy to facilitate a conversation to see what would be the best fit for you and the club. This is open to adults as well as high school students.
On behalf of all of the volunteers on the Fall River Rebels Board, thank you again for your continued support and interest in youth basketball – it is a great sport and we can’t wait to see all of the players hit the court. As we gather more information on the upcoming season, we will continue to update everyone as quickly as possible. If there are any questions on anything at all, please feel free to contact myself directly.
President – Fall River Rebels Basketball Association
Mobile: (902) 430-7757